Ex Libris May 2015


Novels/Novellas:
Thorn by Intisar Khanani
The Seventh Wife by T. Kingfisher
This month I unintentionally found myself reading two books that really reminded me of my dear Robin McKinley, Thorn and The Seventh Wife. The comparisons are obvious - both books owe a lot to a fairy-tale background, both are fabulous young heroines embarking on their coming-of-age paths and both are written by wonderful female authors who know and lovingly subvert the background of folktale that informs their work. Both books are YA, but not less enjoyable for it. The real comparison to McKinley comes in the type of heroine, realistic women, who know the value of the mediocre in worlds beset by the supernatural, the wicked and the divine. I will definitely be seeking out more work by both authors.

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, The Broken Kingdoms, Kingdom of Gods by N. K. Jemisin
I will admit upfront to not being sold on The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms. I wanted to love it, particularly after a hundred thousand reviews telling me it was the best thing since laser-sliced bread. It was gripping certainly, but Yeine as a main character ultimately felt too distanced from me personally. Still, that was more than made up for by the worldbuilding, which included a theology most comparable to the Greek pantheon, Gods at the same time devastatingly human and unbridgeable, distant and unknowably divine. The remainder of the trilogy only got better in its exploration of mortals and gods. It's in the reread pile.

A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab
I love the idea of three Londons, it appeals to the folklorist in me. The system of magic was interesting if under included in the book itself. Kell and Lila, the protagonists felt nuanced and likeable but the villain(s) just fell short for me. The motivations were underdevloped and so the threat never really felt real. I wanted to care for the side-characters in danger but never felt truly compelled.

Rapture by Kameron Hurley
Nyxnissa... Really I'd left too long between reading the second book and this one. I'd lost a little grip on Nyx and the political situation in Nasheen but I quickly gained it back. There were some great callbacks to the other novels, with other characters and references, and the reappearance and swift disappearance of one character was devastating but perfect. It was interesting to see Nyx, this John Wayne-esque desperado, dealing with the aches and pains, dealing with getting fat, getting old and getting very tired. The old gun on a last mission is a Western trope that was the perfect end to this series.

The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison
I fell a little bit in love with this book. I loved the willing/unwilling king-figure, and the depth of worldbuilding was astounding. The common complaint, and one I agree with is a lack of action - the plot is slow, in depth and political/personal rather than momentous and physical. It reminded me a little of the Belgariad in its range of political movements. The main character fell a touch flat at times, perhaps because of the subdued obstacles in his way. Often it felt rather as if things were falling into his lap than him actually seeking them out, but his relationships with the other characters were touching - particularly with his heir Idri. I'd like to see something else from this universe, perhaps different people experiencing the aftermath of the political decisions made in this book.

Short Fiction:
The Body Project by Kameron Hurley

Nonfiction:
Story by Robert McKee
The Art of Dramatic Writing by Lajos Egri

These might have been my least favourite books for the course... long, difficult to stick with but incredibly educational. Copious notes!

Anthologies:
None

Comics:
None

No comments:

Post a Comment