Ex Libris March 2015


Fiction:
The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman
 I don't usually enjoy steampunk. Maybe I just haven't found the right book, but I usually find too many cliches and not enough originality. Too many British spies, steam-powered monstrosities and an overabundance of tea. Gears and top hatted 2D characters overwhelm any character development, and plots are usually thin at best. I like the aesthetic, and I love the idea but in practice it just doesn't do it for me. This series might change that for me.
  The Invisible Library came with a premise that I love: multi-dimensional library space, complete with shadowy cabal of Librarians with a capital L. The steampunk elements feel tongue-in-cheek and have logical grounding within the alternate universe of the library and the worlds it visits. However, I never felt the threat of the main villain, even when he appeared, and to be honest, I felt the characters never felt the threat either. The initial plot movement (a dastardly murder!) became easily overwhelmed and forgotten under too many other plot threads. Some of the world details felt a little under-supported by the text and I'm still a little confused on motive, but the premise is wonderful, and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Black Powder War, Empire of Ivory, Victory of Eagles, Tongues of Serpents, Crucible of Gold by Naomi Novik
I whip through these books like wildfire, hence why I've downed so many this month. I'm still struggling to care for Lawrence as a character, although he has improved vastly over the series, I mostly care for Temeraire. Some small part of me did want them to stay in Australia, having adventures, becoming wild men. Lawrence in the opening of Crucible is basically all I want to hear about, posh man gone wild, shooting bunyips and taking names. Now he's all boring again. Le sigh.

Sunshine by Robin McKinley
I love Robin McKinley. Deerskin gets a reread at least everything three months, Spindle's End every six. This is very different, I feel, to the rest of her catalogue. It has the same themes of internal light vs darkness and the same whimsical fairy tale feel, but it definitely stands apart. I loved it though, and may add it to the frequent reread list.

Last Flight (Dragon Age) by Liane Merciel
I enjoyed this more than the other Dragon Age books. It was nice to have two fully formed female protagonists, although the necessary "group adventurer" scene was a bit dull and easy. Infantry fight scenes aren't her forte. I'm now done with the DA back catalogue, and would love to get my hands on the DA graphic novel selection... maybe next month.


Short Stories:
Dog by Bruce McAllister
I really need to catch up on Tor short stories, but I loved this one.

Nonfiction:
None!

Anthologies:
None!

Comics:
None!

No comments:

Post a Comment